Catholic Comment News
Election of Pope Francis
Brothers and sisters, good evening!
You all know that the duty of the Conclave was to give a bishop to Rome. It seems that my brother Cardinals have gone almost to the ends of the earth to get him… but here we are. I thank you for the welcome that has come from the diocesan community of Rome.
First of all I would like to say a prayer pray for our Bishop Emeritus Benedict XVI. Let us all pray together for him, that the Lord will bless him and that our Lady will protect him. Our Father…Hail Mary…Glory to the Father…
And now let us begin this journey, the Bishop and the people, this journey of the Church of Rome which presides in charity over all the Churches, a journey of brotherhood in love, of mutual trust. Let us always pray for one another. Let us pray for the whole world that there might be a great sense of brotherhood. My hope is that this journey of the Church that we begin today, together with the help of my Cardinal Vicar, may be fruitful for the evangelization of this beautiful city.
And now I would like to give the blessing. But first I want to ask you a favour. Before the Bishop blesses the people I ask that you would pray to the Lord to bless me – the prayer of the people for their Bishop. Let us say this prayer – your prayer for me – in silence.
I will now give my blessing to you and to the whole world, to all men and women of good will.
Brothers and sisters, I am leaving you. Thank you for your welcome. Pray for me and I will be with you again soon... We will see one another soon. Tomorrow I want to go to pray to the Madonna, that she may protect Rome.
Good night and sleep well!
A CatholicVote.org video production commemoratingthe election of Pope Francis.
Additional Resources which may be of help in the early days of the work of Pope Francis as Bishop of Rome:
- First homily of Pope Francis in the Sistine Chapel on Thursday 14 March 2013
- Ireland AM interview on TV3 with Catriona Curran & Maura Garrihy on Thursday 14 March 2013
- "Right Hook" interview on Newstalk - Fr Robert McCabe from Rome on Tuesday 19 March 2013
- Text of an interview given to Andrea Tornielli by Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio in February 2012
- Updates available on the Catholic Comment Facebook Page
- Some resources from www.aleteia.org on Pope Francis and his work in Buenos Aires
- Video footage of Papal Transition from Rome Reports and from Salt+Light TV